06 02 14 - GIBRAHAYER
|GIBRAHAYER e-magazine-OUT EVERY TUESDAY
SYSTEM OF A DOWN WINS GRAMMY FOR B.Y.O.B
LOS ANGELES (Combined Sources) System Of A Down won a Grammy Wednesday night in the "Best Hard Rock Performance" category for their single "B.Y.O.B." off the album Mezmerize. System beat out Audioslave ("Doesn't Remind Me"), Nine Inch Nails ("The Hand That Feeds"), Robert Plant ("Tin Pan Valley"), and Queens Of The Stone Age ("Little Sister").
In 2005, System Of A Down - Serj Tankian (vocals), Daron Malakian (guitar, vocals), Shavo Odadjian (bass), and John Dolmayan (drums) - became the first band in the history of the Billboard chart to score two Number one debuts with new albums in a single calendar year. The two albums, Mezmerize and Hypnotize, both debuted at number one, in May and November, respectively.
"B.Y.O.B." [Bring Your Own Bombs], the first single off Mezmerize, questions the ongoing war in Iraq and President's Bush involvement in it. The song asks repeatedly, "Why don't presidents fight the war?/ Why do they always send the poor?/ Why do they always send the poor?" System has been nominated for the Grammy's twice before. Their single "Chop Suey!" was nominated for Best Metal Performance in 2002 and "Aerials" was nominated for Best Hard Rock Performance in 2003. Both singles were off the album Toxicity.
tatiana's corner by Tatiana Ferahian
news in brief
• 18 years since the registration of the first AIDS patient in Armenia, 79 people have already died from this disease, including 13 women and 2 children.
• A Turkish journalist of Armenian descent was acquitted on Thursday of charges of insulting the Turkish national identity under a controversial penal code article largely seen as an obstacle to freedom of expression. Hrant Dink was facing charges for remarks he made at a human rights conference in 2002 in southeastern Turkey criticizing Turkey's national anthem and an oath taken by Turkish schoolchildren each day in which they say, "Happy is the one who says, 'I am a Turk'."
• GIBRAHAYER e-magazineAzerbaijan's lack of will to compromise over core issues constantly hampers progress at Karabakh talks. In the words of Chair of the Parliamentary Standing Commission on Foreign Relations Armen Rustamyan, if Baku wants a settlement, it should remember that the issue can be solved only when its cause is eliminated. «The priority issue of the settlement is determination of the internationally recognized political status of the NKR,» he said.
• Cold Reality: Doctors hope an unwanted “package” will become someone’s gift. It was a cold January morning. A nurse came to work and saw a strange package on the lobby floor of the hospital. The package was crying. It could have been a Hollywood movie. It was, rather, an Armenia reality, January 21. And the story is as real as the tracks of an unknown person on untouched snow that brought a baby girl to the hospital and left her to the mercy of God or man. www.armenianow.com/?action=viewArticle&AID=1361&lng=eng&IID=1068&PHPSESSID=b516cd745a46e497e196279667aaa000
your emails click here for all emails
We have seven very interesting and revealing letters from our readers. Click here to read them http://gibrahayer.cyprusnewsletter.com/index.htm?p=2
Vartan Tashdjian - New Exhibition in Bangkok - Thailand 2-30 March, 2006
GIBRAHAYER e-magazine"Set Sail" - An exhibition of watercolour and oil paintings by Vartan Tashdjian
2 - 30 March 2006 The Rotunda Gallery Bangkok
Internationally renowned Cypriot-Armenian artist, Vartan Tashdjian, will be holding his 45th solo exhibition at the Rotunda Gallery. This is a rare opportunity to see the work of one of Cyprus's best-know artists.
The exhibition "Set Sail" explores sailing themes and showcases some of Vartan's finest watercolour and oil paintings. Sailing boats in full sail, at rest and in regattas are the subject matter of this exhibition. Vartan's translucent watercolour paintings are often combined with ink to emphasize action and different moods. The effect is vibrant and gives a sense of speed, urgency and the energy of sailing.
The exhibition runs from the 2nd to the 30th March, with the opening reception being held on Thursday 2nd March from 7:00 pm onwards. The cocktail reception will be opened by Linda Der Kevorkian, wife of the late Armenian Honorary Consul to Thailand, Bob Der Kevorkian. There will be a meet-the-artist event on Saturday the 4th and Sunday the 5th March from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
If you would like further information please contact Mariana Atkins (01 820 6381 or email@example.com).
The Rotunda Gallery - Neilson Hays Library, 195 Surawong Road, Bangkok 10500 - www.neilsonhayslibrary.com
Telephone number: 02 233 1731. The Rotunda Gallery opening times are Tuesday to Sunday 9:30 am to 4:00 pm.
• Armenian tennis champion Zaruhi Harutyunyan has returned to her adopted home of Cyprus from her ITF tournaments in Asia with an incredible leap from 1245 to 575 in the ITF world rankings. Please visit her news section further down.
• FIFA on Tuesday ordered Turkey to play their next six official home games behind closed doors at a neutral venue and pay all organisational costs, and also handed out a 200,000 Swiss francs (129,000 euro) fine and banned three of their players.
• Encore presentation of the biggest disappointment of Marcos Baghdatis after losing to Roger Federer www.til-design.com/marcos/ and then click on DSCF0051.AVI .
• From February 27 to March 2 the Armenian National football team will take part in the 10th international tournament in Cyprus. The Armenian National Team is in the same group with Romanian, Cyprus and Slovenia National Teams. The first team Armenian will meet is Romania on February 28, at 17.00 (Cyprus time) in Nicosia. The Cyprus-Slovenia meeting will also be held on February 28, at 17.00 in Larnaca. The other group consists of the National Teams of Finland, Kazakhstan, Belorussia and Greece. On February 28 at 17.00 the meeting Finland-Kazakhstan will take place in Larnaca. On the same day at 19.00 the meeting Greece-Byelorussia will be held in Limassol. The winner of Cyprus-Slovenia match will meet with the winner of Romania-Armenia match in the finals. The meeting will take place on March 1 at 17.00.
MARCOS BAGHDATIS, ARTSAKH'S LIBERATION and ZARUHI HARUTYUNYAN
At the expense of being ridiculed, over the past seven years, I often talked of this great player from Cyprus called Marcos Baghdatis who left home at 13 to join an Academy in Paris and to follow an inconceivable dream for most. Perhaps I had a reason or two more to believe that Marcos would make it big. At a tender age of 15 - in an invitation best eight tournament in Cyprus - he had comprehensively defeated me and in the months and years to come he was to quickly and steadily excel to a world class player.
It was difficult to make people believe that the phenomenon Baghdatis, was not a case of just another player. The government of Cyprus as well as big corporations did not help him when he most needed it. Sponsors were shrugged off, his military exemption was put to test and Baghdatis and his family were alone in their quest to the impossible.
At the expense of politically being ridiculed, the political forces in Armenia and diaspora who believed in the liberation struggle of Artsakh walked on thin ice until the liberation struggle of the few, became the liberation struggle of the people, only when it became apparent that the war was over and the war was won. I remember the timidness, the uncertainty and the lack of will - let alone the contribution or support - of our people who questioned and undermined the struggle, until it was safe enough to call it a sealed victory a decade later. Like the struggle of Marcos Baghdatis, this war was fought and won by the few. The rest joined later when the umpire called the score. "Game set and match Karabagh".
Zaruhi Harutyunyan left Armenia in September 2005 to join the Cyprus National team's practise program and in her first attempt this month at an ITF tournament climbed from 1245 to an incredible 670 positions to number 575 in less than a month. She came to Cyprus to an unknown destination with no funds, no place to stay and little to go by. A 15 year old orphan, having left her younger sister and mother in Armenia, she is fighting for an impossible dream as well, having as weapons her talent, her patience, her discipline and the limited support through the pages of this e-magazine.
In order not to resemble to the timid supporters of our struggle in Artsakh and in order not to be identified with the people who failed to support Marcos Baghdatis when he needed it most, we need to do our best to help Zaruhi Harutyunyan. Nobody else will do it for us. Let us give this girl a chance. The Armenian sports authorities do not have the funds, and there are no sponsors for this girl before they all see results.
Zaruhi Harutyunyan - with her performance in the last ITF tournament - has showed us she is worthy of this chance and worthy of this opportunity.
Let us all, give it to her !
latest on Zaruhi Harutyunyan
ZARUHI HARUTYUNYAN JUMPS FROM 1245 TO 575 IN ITF WORLD RANKINGS IN THREE WEEKS AFTER TOURNAMENTS IN ASIA
It is seldom that tennis players jump 670 positions. In a spectacular run with action packed qualification matches and main draw victories in Dhaka - Bangladesh, Zaruhi Harutyunyan has achieved just that. And this is just the beginning. Her two consecutive wins over players ranked in the top 300 profess, what is coming.
She made it to three main draw appearances in three separate tournaments, qualifying in each tournament after winning a dozen qualifications matches, most of them being played in a single weekend with two matches a day.
As probably the biggest climber on the world ITF tour of this year, I urge our readers to support her effort by sending money to her fund so that she can continue her competitions.
By collecting points she will be eligible for immediate main draw appearances and by making it to the top 100 she will be eligible for Grand Slam competitions like Wimbledon, The US Open, The Australian and Roland Garros in Paris.
You can make your contributions to the following Account:
Laiki Bank Strovolos Industrial Area, Stavrou 96 I, 2034, Strovolos
Account Number 101 - 08 - 037631 for Zaruhi Harutyunyan under guardian Simon Aynedjian
International transfers at IBAN CY30 0030 0101 0000 0101 0803 7631 . Swift Code address LIKICY2N
• GIBRAHAYER e-magazineSunday 19 February, 2006. Armenian youth trip to Troodos. Bus leaves from at Nareg Armenian School Basketball Ground at 9:00 am. All are welcome to spend a day in the snow. Participation fee CYP 5:00 including delicious Armenian kebab and drinks. Tavli competition in the afternoon ! For registration please call Kery Nadjarian at 99476108.
• 24 February, 2006 at 8:00 pm Classical song recital at Kasteliotissa Hall - Paphos Gate in Nicosia by Maral Vorsganian, (soprano), accompanied on the piano by Lelia Khatchatourian organised by the Hamazkayin Cultural and Educational Association Oshagan Cyprus Chapter. Entrance 5.00 cyp.
• 2nd - 30th March 2006 - Painting Exhibition by Vartan Tashdjian at Rotunda Gallery Bangkok with the opening reception being held on Thursday 2nd March from 7:00 pm onwards. The cocktail reception will be opened by Linda Der Kevorkian, wife of the late Armenian Honorary Consul to Thailand, Bob Der Kevorkian. There will be a meet-the-artist event on Saturday the 4th and Sunday the 5th March from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm.
• Saturday and Sunday 18 and 19 March 2006 The Knar Dance Ensemble of the Hamazkayin Cultural and Educational Association of Beirut will be arriving in Cyprus and will give two performances in Larnaca. Details to follow.
• Saturday 18 March 2006 After the performance of the Knar Dance Ensemble a dinner dance has been organised in Larnaca. For details please contact Adour Karageulian on 99880226.
VIRUS ALERT BY PANDA SOFTWARE CYPRUS - Tearec.A is a worm that disables several Antivirus programs, if they are installed on the affected computer. It also attempts to delete files belonging to several Antivirus programs, peer-to-peer file sharing programs (P2P) and other applications, which would make them stop working. It also monitors the network traffic of certain connections related with Antivirus programs and email services. This way, it could obtain passwords. It spreads via email in a message with variable characteristics and across computer networks. To combat this new and vicious virus, run a free active scan at www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
If this newsletter has no unsubscribe link, or the link does not work. please report it and it will be dealt immediately.
Include this code in your report LATROBA123 (GIBRZINE13746).
VISIT THE FOLLOWING CONSTANTLY UPDATED PAGES OF GIBRAHAYER E-MAGAZINE
Emails to the Editor - click here |Article of the week here |Articles by Professor Hovhannes Pilikian here |Tennis Champ Zaruhi Harutyunyan. How YOU can help here |
RECOMMENDED SITES FROM OUR READERS: http://www.aztagdaily.com/EnglishSupplement/FEA_02012006_0001.htm ,
www.haireniktv.com , www.armenianweekly.com , www.turkishdailynews.com.tr , http://www.horizonweekly.ca ,
If this e-magazine has ended up in your spam filter make sure that firstname.lastname@example.org is in your address book. To read past issues of Gibrahayer e-magazine Go to http://gibrahayer.cyprusnewsletter.com to read our archives.