Wearing Emporio Armani considered Armenian propaganda in Turkey, and is punishable by law
October 17, 2011 | 11:41
ISTANBUL. – Turkish press widely covered Taraf daily’s columnist Roni Margulies’ funny story about three unlucky Turks, who were found guilty of wearing Emporio Armani t-shirts and thus carrying out Armenian propaganda.
In his article, Margulies presents the three Turks’ self-defending speeches made in the court. “…a merchant asked me why I’m wearing that t-shirt and called the police…I don’t think I was making propaganda,” said the first defendant.
The second defendant noted that he already gave testimony to the gendarmerie, insisting: “I didn’t have ulterior motives…That t-shirt is a very well-known Italian brand…I don’t find myself guilty.”
The third defendant likewise did not find himself to be guilty, underscoring that the t-shirt was a gift from his mother, since it is a famous Italian brand.
The article also notes that the three translators, who had come as a result of a public announcement by Town Hall of Avsha Island, where this incident occurred, confirmed that Emporio Armani means “Armenian Empire,” and subsequently the defendants were sentenced to life in prison.
Roni Margulies also wrote this story might sound improbable, but stated that, aside from the court ruling, rest of the story is completely true.
News from Armenia - NEWS.am
• Turkey agrees to earthquake relief from Armenia, but formal request not yet received
Immediately upon hearing the news of the tremor, Armenian President had sent an urgent message of condolence to his Turkish counterpart and had offered Armenia’s assistance...
• Offering Turkey earthquake relief was correct and natural – Armenian opposition member
Let that remain in the conscience of those who refuse…
• Turkey refuses international rescue mission because it prepares to attack Kurds – Armenian analyst
Turkey is continuing to prepare for forceful operations against the Kurds…
• Armenian and Russian heads of state together phone their Turkish counterpart
Armenia’s rescue teams are prepared to render assistance at any moment…
• Why Turkey denied Armenia’s aid? (VIDEO)
Armenia registered the earthquake of 3-5 magnitude…
... last news on "Armenia-Turkey contacts"
• 18:22 - Hit-and-run in Yerevan
• 18:12 - Karabakh President receives delegation from Armenian Educational Foundation
• 16:38 - Armenian PM meets with head of Lithuania’s State Tax Inspectorate
• 16:25 - Armenia’s FM to visit Luxembourg, Berlin, Paris
• 16:13 - Legendary violinist Pinchas Zukerman is in Armenia
• 14:20 - Armenia-EU Association Agreement talks kick off in Yerevan
• 13:56 - Three people injured as vehicles crashed tree and electric pillar in Armenia
• 13:48 - Armenia’s FM meets with Paris mayor
• 13:30 - Armenian Church chapel burned with icons in Armenia
• 13:29 - Armenian President receives Mayor of Paris
• 13:06 - US Congress marks Armenia’s independence
• 13:04 - Police caught man with drugs in Armenia
• 12:15 - Junior Eurovision 2011 tickets on sale in Armenia
• 12:14 - Turkey cannot criminalize Armenian Genocide recognition - Human Rights Court