The largest circulation Armenian e-magazine on the Internet
|Gibrahayer e-magazine www.gibrahayer.com
Circulates every Wednesday - Established in 1999
RESTORED ARMENIAN CEMETERY READY FOR FIRST RELIGIOUS CEREMONY SINCE 1963
Gibrahayer - Nicosia 17 March 2009 - The newly restored Armenian Cemetery near the Ledra Palace will be welcoming members of the Armenian community of Cyprus for the first time in 46 years for a religious ceremony that will take place this Sunday 22 March at 11:00 am.
During the service, the remains exhumed previously will be laid to rest in accordance with the rites of the Armenian Church.
As of next year at Merelots, there will be a memorial every year, in the Sourp Boghos chapel within the cemetery premises.
TURKEY BUYS 30 NEW F16 FIGHTER JETS FROM USA
Press tv - Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:33:04 GMT - Turkey has purchased 30 new "F-16C Block 50" fighter jets from an American aerospace company Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co.
The contract worth USD1.8 billion will turn the Turkish Air Force into one of the biggest air forces in the world as far as the number of its F-16 fighter jets is concerned, Press TV correspondent in Ankara reported Friday.
The US Congress had agreed with selling the new planes to Turkey in 2006.
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co. is a leader in the design, research and development, systems integration, production and support of advanced military aircraft and related technologies.
Its customers include the military services of the United States and allied countries throughout the world.
EDWARD NALBANDIAN OPENS YEREVAN GARDEN IN PARIS
Jean Eckian / Paris - March 12 - In front of a thousand people, the orchestra of the Municipal police of Paris played the Armenian anthem while Armenian Foreign Minister Edward Nalbandian together with Charles Aznavour and The Mayor of Paris Bertrand Delanoëun unveiled the plate marking the site of the « Jardin d’Erevan » (Garden of Yerevan), located behind the memorial of the Armenian Genocide.
This green area is bordered of two lines of large trees, along the edges of the Seine on 255 meters of length and 25 meters in width.
Bertrand Delanoë and Edward Nalbandian are mutually happy of the fraternal friendship which united Yerevan and Paris. In addition, the mayor of Paris wished that the Armenian and French people share their know-how in the fields of culture, education and health. Moreover, he put the emphasis on the intolerable denial of the Armenian Genocide which prevails in Turkey and even in France.
Many personalities of Armenian descent were present at this event: singer Hélène Segara, MP François Rochebloine and the Minister André Santini, archbishop of Paris Norvan Zakarian, the king of caviar in Paris Armen Petrossian, film producer Alain Terzian, Pierre Terzian, Chairman of Armenian Funds of France.
GAROYIAN RE-ELECTED UNOPPOSED AS DIKO PARTY PRESIDENT
Gibrahayer - Nicosia - 15 March, 2009 - Marios Garoyian was declared President of the Democratic Party (DIKO) at the Pancyprian Electoral Congress of the party that took place last Saturday.
Garoyian - who has been President of DIKO since 2006 and is the President of the Cyprus Parliament - was re-elected unopposed for a further four-year term.
TATA IN CYPRUS ON THE 24TH OF MARCH
View the TV advertisement of Tata Simonyan's concert by clicking on the link here
PARLIAMENT PRESIDENT MARIOS GAROYIAN TO ATTEND 24th MARCH ANCY FUND-RAISER
Armenian National Committee of Cyprus Press Release- The Office of the President of the Cyprus Parliament has informed the Armenian National Committee of Cyprus (ANCY), that Marios Garoyian will attend the fund-raising event on the 24 March, 2009 at the Pavilion in Nicosia. During the evening a brief presentation will take place on the activities of Armenian National Committees in Cyprus and abroad. Marios Garoyian will then address the event. The main highlight of the event will be the live performance of the most popular singer in Armenian reality Tata Simonian with his five-man band. Tata will arrive in Cyprus from Lebanon, where he will perform for yet another fund-raising event organised by "Vana Tsayn" Armenian radio station. ANCY has circulated lotteries as part of its drive to raise funds. The gifts include a return ticket to Yerevan. A number of media outlets such as Plus TV, Russian radio, Zenith radio will start to advertise the event in the coming days. Organisers of the event in Cyprus expect a turnout of 500.
Read our community's Armenian language newspaper "Artsakank" - now in its 28th year
of publication - by clicking on the image above. www.Artsakank.com.cy is now
operational and you can download/read the last two copies.
BOOKMARK THE EVENT OF THE YEAR
HAMAZKAYIN "SIPAN" DANCE ENSEMBLE'S PERFORMANCE IS ON APRIL 4
at the newly renovated Palace Hall (Palace Cinema on Regina Street) in Nicosia
News in Brief - by Sevag Devledian
* Four House members have asked President Obama to follow up on campaign statements and label a 1915 massacre of Armenians as genocide, Reuters reports. The pressure on Obama comes ahead of an expected presidential trip to Turkey, which has warned that such declarations by the United States would damage relations.
* 2009 Appropriations bill, signed into law by President Obama earlier last week, once again maintained military aid parity between Armenia and Azerbaijan, and included $48 million in assistance to Armenia and another $8 million for Nagorno-Karabakh, reported the Armenian National Committee of America (ANCA).
* Iran's Minister of Foreign Affairs Manouchehr Mottaki said relations between Iran and Armenia, directed by the presidents of the two countries, have been expanding. Mottaki, upon meeting with Armenia President Serzh Sargsyan in Yerevan last week, said he had had good consultations with Armenian officials on President Sargsyan's upcoming trip to Iran and expressed hope that new steps would be taken in bilateral relations by signing new documents.
* Yerevan and Ankara have agreed on establishing normal relations, and the results of these negotiations are expected to be announced in April, resulting in the opening of Armenian-Turkish border, reports the Turkish newspaper Sabah, emphasising that Turkish authorities made it a condition that the opening of Armenian-Turkish border will be possible after April 24.
* Azerbaijani political scientists and party functionaries took a negative opinion of the Turkish media reports which claimed that there was a secret deal between Turkey and Armenia, which will be released after April 24. Political scientist Vafa Guluzade, a Former Azerbaijani Presidential Advisor, said that Turkey’s move to warm relations with Armenia may undermine Azerbaijan’s stand.
"We simply cannot think of a better cause to contribute to..."
International subscribers can make contributions to: Marfin Popular Bank Public Company Ltd, Bank Address: Strovolos Industrial Area sub-Branch Stavrou Avenue
96-I, 2034 Nicosia - Cyprus, A/C Name: Aynedjian Simon, Account No: 101 1100 3421 Swift Code: LIKI CY 2N, IBAN: CY13 0030 0101 0000 0101 1100 3421
also support us by calling 909-35037
Did you buy the 3DVD Pack from KOHAR?
Buy it now by clicking here
Did you call 909-35037 ?
READ AZAD OR's GREEK SUPPLEMENT BY CLICKING HERE
Letters to the Editor
First, i want to thank you for your kind concern and unprecedented timely considerations that you express through this great magazine. While outside your home country and for a very long period of time, it is really a must to feel, at random, that you still belong to a sector of humanity that not everyone listens...We have the right to exist, to perform, to participate and finally to be proud of ourselves, regardless of locations and affiliations!!
A very close friend of mine, Mr Vazken Kouzoudjian and his wife, Maggy, who have been with their 2 daughters in Doha, Qatar for over 20 years now, with constant relations and communications with me in person. Maggy is highly concerned in Armenian issues and somehow a 'freelance' activist too.
Maggy, upon receipt of my last two copies of Gibrahayer, came to ask whether she can also be considered for your kind attention to receive your online copies on steady basis?? If asked, I would never argue and much like to have it done since she deserves. Maggy's email is: email@example.com. If need further clarifications/information, please do not hesitate to contact and I'll be glad to supply.
Thanks all Gibrahayer... Pass my salutations to all sireli Gibros, that makes me recall my very good old days, during the civil war in Lebanon, when I was transfered by my employer to Nicosia for almost a years stay and had one of my best days. This was in 1980-81. I have very lovely cousins there still, Der-Avedissians, starting from Uncle Diran (regret for late aunt Araxi) and of course my two dearest cousins, Hasmig and Sirvart (our modern Sylvia Peterson). Please pass my loveliest regards to them and say I am waiting to read them and maybe, hear them too.
Thanks Sir for all your efforts. Please consider Mrs Maggy's request and let me know at your earliest convenience.
Ohaness Nersissian - Khobar/KSA
Open Letter to the Minister of Diaspora
Dear Minister of Diaspora,
It is with sincere regret and disappointment we are made aware that the profession, care, and patriotism of the diaspora is not put to any constructive use in our homelands. In official circles calls go out for the diaspora to help, but when independent volunteers are ready; nepotism, connections, and red tape interfere with our efforts.
For the record, we were able to volunteer in Karabakh two years ago and constructively contributed to the people there. We hope you have access to that information. Our qualifications include actively practising medicine in 3 different countries, including well-known hospitals in the USA, over 40 years of experience in the medical field, and fluency in 5 languages.
In contrast to our homelands; United States, Jewish, and other foreign hospitals have eagerly asked for volunteer doctors, including myself, to go serve their needs. It is sad that our own nation isn't enthusiastic about such projects nor appreciates the patriotism of Diasporan Armenians, focusing only on Diaspora's financial aid instead of additionally benefiting from their professional service. It seems even the Diasporan Ministry comes short of understanding the selfless patriotism of diaspora Armenians.
We are very sorry for us and for all Armenians worldwide for their selfless patriotism.
Dr And Mrs Ishkhan and Anahit Babajanian MD /Retired Pediatrician - USA March 12, 2009
Sports by Sevag Devletian
* Citroen Racing's Sebastien Loeb secured an emphatic victory in the 2009 Cyprus Rally, round three of the 2009 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC), and re-wrote his own record books by securing a landmark 50th WRC victory in Limassol on Sunday afternoon. The French driver has taken the world of rallying by storm since sealing his first WRC victory in Germany in 2002 and he comfortably held off the challenge from Finland's Mikko Hirvonen over the closing three stages in Cyprus to win by a margin of 27.2 seconds.
* Key goalkeeper of the Armenian national soccer team Roman Berezovski is unsure whether he will continue to play in the Armenian team or not. In an interview with the Russian `Sport Daily' magazine, the player of the `Khimki' team of Moscow didn't exclude that he may not play in the Armenian team anymore.
* Last year Levon Aronian won the blindfold and rapid spectacle in Nice by 2½ points. This year he has started with a 2-0 score – against his first opponent, Vassily Ivanchuk. The Amber tournament is being staged in the Palais de la Mediterranée in Nice and carries a prize fund of € 216,000.
* Arthur Abraham retained his IBF middleweight title with a hard-earned unanimous decision over previously unbeaten Lajuan Simon of the United States on Saturday. Abraham pounded Simon, who finished with a swollen left eye, but could not land a knockout punch.
* Father and son tennis team Simon and Edmond Aynedjian defeated Pantelis Damianou and Yiorgos Samaras in the Finals of the Men's Doubles Tennis Tournament, organised by Mad4Tennis that took place on 15 March at 3:00 pm at Talentum Tennis Academy (Melkonian Sports Center). The father and son tennis team turned a 5-7 final set tie break deficit, to win the final set 10-point tiebreaker by winning the last five points in a row. Match report - click here
FATHER AND SON WIN NICOSIA TENNIS TOURNAMENT
GIBRAHAYER e-magazine Mad4Tennis - (Match report click here) Ο βετεράνος πρωταθλητής Simon Aynedjian με την σημαντική βοήθεια από τον 12χρονο!!! παρακαλώ γιό και συμπαίκτη του στο Τουρνουά Edmond (και παρά το ότι μόλις το πρωί της ίδιας μέρας έπαιξαν και πέρασαν από τον ημιτελικό) κατάφεραν να επικρατήσουν στον Τελικό Διπλών «ΧΕΙΜΩΝΑΣ 2009» Λευκωσίας έναντι των σπουδαίων επίσης αντιπάλων τους Παντελή Δαμιανού / Γιώργο Σαμάρα.
Χωρίς υπερβολή ήταν ο πιο συναρπαστικός τελικός που είχαμε δει μέχρι τώρα στα Τουρνουά Mad4Tennis. Και τα δύο ζευγάρια έδωσαν τα πάντα για να κερδίσουν, όχι μόνο τους αντιπάλους, αλλά και τον δυνατό άνεμο που φυσούσε σε όλη την διάρκεια του αγώνα.
Εντούτοις όσοι παραβρέθηκαν στις εγκαταστάσεις του Talentum Tennis Academy στο Melkonian είχαν την τύχη να παρακολουθήσουν σπουδαίο τένις, φοβερά αντανακλαστικά και από τους 4 παίκτες και μπαλιές και πόντους που δεν είχαν τίποτα να ζηλέψουν από τους τελικούς επαγγελματικών πρωταθλημάτων. Ακόμα και ο μικρός σε ηλικία Edmond έπαιξε στα ίσα τους «μεγάλους» αναγκάζοντας συχνά τους θεατές να τον χειροκροτήσουν για τους πόντους που κέρδιζε.
* AGBU Ararat FC crushed Omonia FC 3-1 in the 1st Division of the Cyprus Futsal League to keep their title hopes alive.
* Nor Serount's Homenmen suffered a 3-5 defeat by Etha in the 3rd Division of the Cyprus Futsal Championships.
* Sunday 22 March 2009 - The Secretariat of the Armenian Church of Cyprus announced that with the restoration works at the old Armenian Cemetery approaching completion, there will be a short service at the Cemetery at 11:00 am. During the service, the remains exhumed previously will be laid to rest in accordance to the rites of the Armenian Church.
* Friday 27 March - Lecture on Mkhitar Kosh and Vartan Areveltsi by Momig Kahana Habeshian
* Saturday, March 28, 2009 at 05:00 pm: Armenian Evangelical church service in the Greek Evangelical church, 20 Gladstonos street, Nicosia. Speaker: Hrayr Jebejian.
* Wednesday 1 April 2009 starting at 4:00 pm at the Cleopatra Hotel, Nicosia - The Armenian Relief Society (HOM) Cyprus Sosse Chapter is organising its annual Easter Charity Tea and Bazaar. As always the proceeds from the Charity Tea will be used to fund the numerous charity programmes sponsored by our Society in Armenia and Cyprus. Entrance €10
* Friday 3 April - Lecture on Nerses Shnorhali by Dr. Antranik Ashdjian
* Saturday 4 April - Sipan Dance Ensemble of Hamazkayin Cultural and Educational Association performs at the newly renovated Palace Hall (Palace Cinema on Regina Street) in Nicosia.
* Sunday 10 May, 2009 - Pilgrimage to the Turkish-occupied Armenian Monastery of Sourp Magar, organised by the Office of the Armenian Office of MP Vartkes Mahdessian.
All lectures are organised by the Christian Education Program at Sourp Asdvadzadzin Church immediately after Hsgoum every Friday.
Gibrahayer Calendar every week
# Every Wednesday and Friday starting from Wednesday 25 February - Arevakal and Hsgoum at 7:40 am and 6:00 pm at Sourp Asdvadzadzin Church in Nicosia
# Every Saturday at 6:00 pm at AYMA - Weekly meetings of Azadamard Junior Badanegan (8-13 year olds). An educational and fun environment for the younger generation of our community. Games, trips, parties and lots of fun in a family environment. For more information contact Kevork Keoshgerian on 99817806.
# Every Saturday at 7:00 pm at AYMA - Weekly meetings of Azadamard Senior Badanegan (13-17 year olds). For more information contact Kevork Keoshgerian on 99817806.
# Every Sunday at 7:30 pm at AYMA - Weekly meetings of AYF Koyamard Branch (17-30 year olds).
# Every Wednesday at 7:00 pm - Community gathering at The Armenian Club of Larnaca, followed by dinner.
# Every Friday and Saturday evening - Marie-Louise Kouyoumdjian sings at ENALLAX with the resident Band.
Computer problems ? - DIAL 99437073
Technical support, Repairs & upgrades, Hardware problems, Software installations, Windows related errors, Virus and spy ware removal, Software installation & troubleshooting, Wired and wireless networking, data recovery, formatting,
for assistance for making your life in front of your computer more enjoyable.
Our Computer Doctor speaks fluent Armenian and also makes house calls !
Limited stock on computer hardware also available. PCs, laptops & gadgets
If this newsletter has no unsubscribe link, or the link does not work. please report it and it will be dealt immediately.
Include this code in your report LATROBA123 (GIBRZINE26067).