29 05 2008 - GIBRAHAYER
|e-magazine The largest circulating Armenian
TODAY IN LARNACA
Gibrahayer - Wednesday May 28 – The official inauguration of the Armenian Genocide Monument in Phinikoudes, Larnaca, will take place today at 6:30 pm by His Excellency the President of the Cyprus Republic Demetris Christofias, where the first Armenian Genocide survivors landed.
A high-level delegation from the Armenian Republic will also be present.
Images on Gibrahayer dot com
A.R.F. DASHNAKTSOUTIUN CONGRESS ENDS IN YEREVAN
All ARF ministers elected to the Bureau, to resign from Armenian Government 28 May 2008 - Yerevan - Yerkir) - Delegates from more than 30 countries participated in the ARF Dashnaktsoutiun congress held on May 21-26 in Armenia. The delegates discussed the party's activities for the past four years, and adopted resolutions for the four years to come. ARF Bureau representative Hrant Margarian spoke at a news conference held at the Christapor Mikayelian center on May 27.
He said the congress discussed thoroughly all the strategic Armenian issues. The congress elected the ARF Bureau, comprising 11 members: Hrant Margarian, Vahan Hovhannisian, Aghvan Vardanian, Davit Lokian, Levon Mkrtchian, Vigen Baghumian, Mkrtich Mkrtchian, Hakob Ter-Khachatrian, Vigen Hovsepian, Hayk Ohsakan, Mario Nalbandian.
"By electing the cabinet ministers to the Bureau, the congress surprised us," Margarian said, adding that the ministers will soon resign, and new ministers will be appointed. He said this was the ministers' decision. "Being a Bureau member is a higher position than that of a minister's, and they decided to resign to be able to fulfill their tasks in the Bureau," Margarian said.
CHRISTOFIAS AND TALAT MEET (Omphalos tis gis) - The leaders of the two communities in Cyprus, Dimitris Christofias and Mehmet Ali Talat reaffirmed last Friday their commitment to a bi-zonal bi-communal federation with political equality, as defined by relevant UN Security Council resolutions.
“This partnership will have a federal government with a single international personality, as well as a Turkish Cypriot constituent state and a Greek Cypriot constituent state which will be of equal status,'' they said in a joint statement.
However, they differed as to when direct talks on the Cyprus problem should start but decided they would come together again in the second half of June to make a new assessment.
The two men met for three hours at the residence of UN Permanent Representative Taye-Brook Zerihoun. By all accounts the meeting went well and the leaders appeared relaxed and comfortable in each other’s company. Zerihoun said it had been a fruitful and genuine discussion.
Asked by the press afterwards when the talks would start, Talat said: “This is a difficult question, actually. You know that we have different views on this issue, we continue to have our views on this matter, so we are going to make an assessment when we come together in the second half of June.”
When the leaders met on March 21, they had agreed to meet again three months from that date. The Turkish Cypriot side interpreted it as the start of negotiations on June 21, but Christofias has remained non-committal on a starting date, saying progress had been slow in the committees and groups.
“Today we decided that we are going to handle these problems and to push the representatives to work more intensively towards convergence and common positions,” Christofias told reporters after the meeting.
Zerihoun said the two leaders had instructed their representatives to examine the results of the technical committees within 15 days. They also decided to consider civilian and military confidence building measures and would pursue the opening of the Limnitis-Yesilirmak crossing point and others.
Questioned by reporters on whether the international identity of Cyprus would evolve from the Republic of Cyprus or from the idea of the birth of a new state, or virgin birth, as it is called, Christofias said: “I think that we have a common position, that it will be a United Federal Republic of Cyprus.”
Moreover, the Cyprus Mail reports that Talat’s representative Ozdil Nami told the paper later that he believed the discussions had taken place in an “extremely positive atmosphere” and that all sides were “very pleased” by the outcome of the meeting.
“For the first time in history, the two sides are speaking the same language, and it is this that pleases us the most,” he said.
Asked whether the Turkish Cypriot side was not concerned about the absence of a definite starting date for fully-fledged negotiations, he said he believed it would be possible to find “a convergence of views” by the second half of June - despite the fact that “the two sides might have different criteria for measuring whether or not progress had been made”.
“From our point of view, it is convergence that is needed,” he added.
As for whether a new partnership state would embody a continuation of the Cyprus Republic or the creation of a new political entity, as envisaged by the now-defunct Annan plan, Nami said, “Answers to questions like these will only come out of fully-fledged negotiations between the two leaders.”
To receive regular updates on developments on Cyprus, you can subscribe by sending an email to info at omphalostisgis dot com or by visiting the relative section in our website www dot gibrahayer dot com, under the newsletter section.
MAY 28 GRAND FIESTA IN CYPRUS
WITH THE PARTICIPATION OF SINGER KARNIG SARKISSIAN & SAHAG SAHAGIAN & ARMENIAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE VAHAN HOVHANESSIAN
Gibrahayer 19 May - Nicosia - The ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Cyprus Gomideh has announced a May 28 Grand Fiesta on the occasion of the rebirth of the Armenian nation by marking the 90th anniversary of Armenian independence with the participation of Armenian presidential candidate Vahan Hovhannessian and singers Karnig Sarkissian and his band as well as Sahag Sahagian (composer of Kedashen).
The celebrations will begin at PASYDY on Sunday 8 June at 6:30pm and will continue with a Banquet at The Holiday Inn at 8:30 pm with the participation of the Armenian popular singers.
The raffle of The Armenian National Committee of Cyprus - giving out three major prizes will take place during the Banquet.
The two events on the same day, are being organised by the ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Cyprus Gomideh and sister organisations AYMA/HMEM, Hamazkayin "Oshagan" Cyprus Chapter and The Armenian Relief Society (HOM) "Sosse" Cyprus Chapter.
JOURNEY TO HISTORIC ARMENIA
through the eyes of LINDA AINTABLIAN
GIBRAHAYER e-magazineWhen - This Monday 2 June at 8:15 pm
What - Slide presentation & discussion on her recent trip to historic Armenia
Where - Utudjian Hall of The Armenian Prelature
Who - Linda Aintablian
Organised by: The Armenian National Committee of Cyprus
BOOKMARK WWW GIBRAHAYER COM
..there is always something new on Gibrahayer DOT com
• Home Page - Sirousho fourth in Europe - Who voted for Armenia ?
• Links section - www cyprus armenians dot com
• How to contribute towards Gibrahayer's new online projects.
• New articles and new interviews
• Opinion - Levon Hakob Ter-Petrosyan or Levon Frayim Pliskovsky -
Armenian National Congress or Armenian Jewish Congress?
• Harut Sassounian's weekly section - Armenians Should Take 20 Million Offered by Turkey as Partial Payment
Letters to the Editor
I just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading Gibrahayer. I lived in Cyprus when I was a child. My grandfather, Levon Karakashian, was a teacher at Melkonian, as was my aunt, Hrip Karakashian, who went on to become the Director of Tebrotzaser in Paris - France.
I don't recognise much of what I see of Cyprus on your website because it's changed so much, but it's still so very nostalgic for me.
Keep up the great work!
Colette Copeland - Toronto, Canada
GAP Vassilopoulos E-Media Ltd (www dot emedia dot com dot cy) are recruiting young professionals for their upcoming E-projects on a full time or a part-time basis. Please contact us direct.
Tel: 22710151 - email: simon dot aynedjian at gapgroup dot com
STUDENT ALERT: HAMAZKAYIN FORUM
For all those who want to receive details of the Hamazkayin Forum that will take place between July 13 - July 27 in Yerevan, please contact Raffi Mahdessian on 99441588 and visit hamazkayin dot com slash forum_info dot php?Lang=en
YOU CAN NOW ASSIST GIBRAHAYER E-MAGAZINE EXPAND ITS ONLINE ACTIVITIES BY MAKING A CALL TO
909 - 35037
Thank you for extending Gibrahayer e-magazine's lifeline and providing us with the opportunity to constantly bring innovation to our online services.
Each call costs 7.86 euro for Cypriot subscribers.
International subscribers can make contributions to:
Bank Name: Marfin Popular Bank Public Company Ltd
Bank Address: Strovolos Industrial Area sub-Branch
Stavrou Avenue 96-I, 2034 Nicosia - Cyprus
Account Name: Aynedjian Simon
Account Number: 101 1100 3412
Swift Code: LIKI CY 2N
IBAN: CY13 0030 0101 0000 0101 1100 3421
YOUTH BOAT PARTY
Saturday 28 June from 8:30pm-12:30am
organised by the Youth Committee of the Armenian MP
Departure from Nicosia from The Armenian Prelature at 7:30pm
Food, first drink and bus service. All inclusive 20 euros
Sign up until June 20, 2008 with
Araxi Chilingirian - 99541688 - Nicosia
Kevork Keoshkerian - 99817806 - Nicosia
Vani Bohdjelian - 99524746 - Larnaca
Diran Kassabian - 99246397 - Limassol
Armenian representative office - 22454540
Open invitation to all between the ages of 16-40
News in Brief by Sevag Devletian
• The European Commission warned membership-hopeful Turkey not to slip back in its reform process, saying it could not afford another wasted year. Speaking in the Euro Parliament in Strasbourg, EU Enlargement Commissioner Olli Rehn said the EU executive body was concerned about the slow pace of reform in Turkey.
• The District Administrative Court in Bulgaria's Danube city of Ruse rejected appeals against the declaration of the City Council recognising the Armenian genocide in the Ottoman Empire. The Court ruling states that the declaration recognising the genocide over Armenians and Bulgarians in the Ottoman Empire could not be disputed because it was not an administrative act, it was only declarative, and had no legal consequences.
• A major step forward toward recognition of the Armenian Genocide by the UK was taken this week when the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church of Scotland passed a motion calling on the UK government to recognise the Genocide. The Church followed the example of the Presbyterian Church of Wales which called on the UK government to recognise the Genocide in 2006, reports independent French correspondent Jean Eckian.
• Turkey's policy toward the South Caucasus states bases on two principles: territorial integrity and neighbourly relations with all states of the region, a Turkish expert said. The Turkish government is willing to enjoy neighbourly relations not only with Georgia and Azerbaijan but also with Armenia,- head of the department of international relations at University of Economic and Technology, prof. Mustafa Aydin said in his remarks during Caucasus 2007 international conference in Yerevan.
• The winner of the 2008 Eurovision Song Contest was Russia's Dima Bilan, who won with his song "Believe," by receiving 272 points. Armenia came 4th with Sirusho's "Qele Qele" with 199 points receiving maximum (12 points) from Poland, Georgia, France, Greece, Russia, Belgium, Czech Republic and the Netherlands. Armenia also received the second highest points (10 points) from Turkey, Spain and Cyprus. Sirusho was given 8 points by San Marino, Bulgaria and Israel, 7 points by Ukraine and Belarus, 6 points by Germany and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Sports by Sevag Devletian
• The Under-19 national team of Armenia suffered a 2-1 defeat from their Turkish coevals on Thursday in the opening match of a UEFA European Under-19 Championship Elite Round Group 7 tournament hosted in Armenia, May 22-27. Armenia’s U-19 team’s next opponents are Ukraine, followed by a game against reigning champions Spain.
• Field Club Audi Tennis Championship: In a four hour marathon George Christodoulou defeated Edmond Aynedjian 4-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the under 12 singles event. All events at www dot cyprustennis dot com
• The Romanian “Styaua” football club is ready to pay one million euros to “Polytechnic” (Timishora) for Artavazd Karamyan of the Armenian national team.
• The International Boxing Tournament finished in the city of Valadolid in Spain. Five Armenian delegates were among those of 8 countries. Eduard Hambardzumian (64 kg)took first place. Hovhannes Danielian (48 kg) and Hrachia Javakhian (64 kg) took third place. The Armenian trio qualified for the Beijing Olympic Games.
• The last Greco-Roman Wrestling Rating Tournament will start in the city of Novi Sad of Serbia on May 23. Karen Mnatsakanian (60kg), Arsen Julfalakian (74kg), Denis Forov (84 kg) and Arman Geghamian (96 kg) will be representing Armenia. The first three places awarded at the tournament will be given qualification for the Beijing Olympic Games.
• An Armenian Professional Gross Master Rafayel Vahanian is participating in the Royal International Chess Tournament in Bazna, Romania on May 24.
• At a prize giving ceremony at the Olympic House on May 19 Mano Kouyoumdjian was awarded a trophy for representing Cyprus in international Games, while Yano Kouyoumdjian received the trophy for "Best Youth Skier"
• Wednesday May 28 at 6:30 pm – Official inauguration of the Armenian Genocide Monument in Phinikoudes, Larnaca, by His Excellency the President of the Cyprus Republic Demetris Christofias. A high-level delegation from the Armenian Republic will also be present.
• Friday 30 May at 7:30 pm - Commemoration of The Battle of Sardarabad and the Liberation of Artsakh at the Nor Serount Club in Nicosia.
• Monday 2 June at 8:15 pm - Linda Aintablian talks about her trip to historic Armenia. A presentation with extensive video and picture coverage. Organised by The Armenian National Committee of Cyprus (Gibrosi Hay Tadi Hantsnakhoump) at The Utudjian Hall of The Armenian Prelature in Nicosia. Questions and discussion to follow.
• Sunday 8 June at 6:30pm - May 28 Grand Fiesta on the occasion of the rebirth of the Armenian nation marking the 90th anniversary of Armenian independence with the participation of Armenian presidential candidate Vahan Hovhannessian and singers Karnig Sarkissian and his band as well as Sahag Sahagian (composer of Kedashen).
• Sunday 8 June at 8:30pm - May 28 Banquet at Holiday Inn with the above participants. Both events are organised by the ARF Dashnaktsoutiun Cyprus Gomideh and sister organisations AYMA/HMEM, Hamazkayin "Oshagan" Cyprus Chapter and The Armenian Relief Society (HOM) "Sosse" Cyprus Chapter.
• Thursday 19 June 2008 at 7:00 pm - Turkey, Armenia and the Defence of Free Expression: Participating: Fethiye Cetin, author of My Grandmother which describes her discovery of her Muslim grandmother's true Armenian Christian identity, translator and writer Maureen Freely, Armenian writer and filmmaker Nouritza Matossian, and Ragip Zarakolu, one of Turkey's best-known dissident publishers. The event will be chaired by Lisa Appignanesi, President of English PEN. This event is made possible through the generous support of Amnesty International. At Nash Room of The Institute of Contemporary Art - London.
• Tuesday 24 June at 6:00 pm - Traditional reception to all Armenian graduates on the island at the residence of the Armenian MP Vartkes Mahdessian.
• Saturday 28 June at 8:30 pm - Pancyprian Youth Boat Party organised by the Youth Committee of the Armenian MP. Departure from Nicosia from Armenian Prelature at 7:30 pm. Food, first drink and bus service. All inclusive 20 euros
Sign up until June 20, 2008 with Araxi Chilingirian - 99541688 - Nicosia, Kevork Keoshkerian - 99817806 - Nicosia, Vani Bohdjalian - 99524746 - Larnaca, Diran Kassabian - 99246397 - Limassol. Open invitation to all between the ages of 16-40.
• 16 July - 3 August - The Armenian Blue Cross of Macedonia and Thrace (Armenian Relief Society - HOM Greece) like every year is organising a Summer Camp for Armenian Youth. Participation is open for juniors between the ages of 8-16, and is set for 300 euros. Sign up with Armenian Relief Society "Sosse" Cyprus Chapter Committee members by June 28, by calling Lilly Hovsepian 99354552 and Isgo Guevherian 22494536. A special rate for 15 passengers has been arranged and will be given out on a first come, first serve basis
• 13 - 27 July in Yerevan - Hamazkayin Forum for Armenian students will take place in Yerevan. Cyprus participants should contact Raffi Mahdessian on 99441588
• 18 – 25 July in Aghavnatsor - "Hayasdanaknatsoutiun" - ARF Dashnaktsoutiun's Badanegan Panarmenian Summer Camp at Aghavnatsor Homes (55 km from Yerevan) Price 280 dollars. Eight-Day educational program filled with excursions, discussions, games. Open to youth from 14-18 years old. For additional information contact Levon Sarian on 99409988 – sarian at cytanet dot com dot cy
PC DOCTOR COMPUTER SERVICES AT YOUR HOME
Are you having problems with your computer?
Contact us on 99437073 for
Repairs & upgrades
Windows related errors
Virus and spy ware removal Software installation & troubleshooting Wired and wireless networking, data recovery,formatting for assistance for making your life in front of your computer more enjoyable Our Computer Doctor speaks fluent Armenian and also makes house calls! Limited stock on computer hardware also available. PCs, laptops & gadgets...