11 10 2008 - The United Nations Development Program in Armenia
The United Nations Development Program in Armenia launches its first project enhancing know-how exchange among Armenians worldwide.
The project is part of an initiative of UNDP Armenia, which aims at supporting contribution to the socio-economic development of the Republic of Armenia through its nationals living abroad.
Through the “Transfer of Knowledge Through Expatriate Nationals (TOKTEN)” Program, highly skilled Armenian in the Diaspora will have the chance to provide technical expertise, policy advice and research services to central and local government, private and public sector enterprises, universities, and research centers in fields like environment, education, sciences, health, public administration, enterprises management, and information technology.
The TOKTEN Program is thus providing an official framework which facilitates at its bests the return of talented Armenian men and women in a multidimensional and multisectoral environment guided and supported by the UN system.
• Bridges up knowledge exchange between the local and European Armenian community
• Merge the Diaspora Armenians’ acquired learning with their familiarity of local culture and language to transfer advanced knowledge, skills and know how to Armenians residents
• Enhance national affinity across borders, deepening Armenians roots to their homeland
• Contribute to human resource development in science and technology, private sector development, social and cultural sectors to the national capacity
• Promote volunteerism to contribute to a more cohesive society by building trust and reciprocity among nationals who share one language, one culture, and one history
• Encourage and empower new mechanisms for volunteering which enriches the learning experience and accordingly the development process.
• Implement the initiatives at the Ministry of Diaspora Affaires
Duties and Responsibilities
An internationally recruited TOKTEN volunteer is a professional recruited for her/his qualifications, specialized skills and readiness to serve with volunteer spirit and under volunteer terms without regard for financial benefit. The incumbent works to realize the broad objectives laid down by the UN Charter for the economic and social advancement of humanity. The incumbent, under the overall guidance of the Ministry of Diaspora Affairs and the direct supervision of the UNDP Armenia Assistant Resident Representative, will be responsible for provision of the following tasks:
• Research and analyses of the tendencies and developments in the regional European communities
• Information analyses (preparation of informative bulletins and analytical documents on internal and external developments related to European Armenian communities)
• Support the relationship of the Ministry with the European Armenian communities
• Support self-organization of the Armenian communities in Europe
• Support relationship of the Ministry with the European Armenian organizations (academic, educational, political, cultural, religious,, economic, benevolent and others)
• Support the establishment and of Sunday schools and expansion of their opportunities
• Support translation and editing of the electronic newspaper of the Ministry of Diaspora Affaires
• Administrative support (preparation of letters, maintenance of all documentation)
• Support the implementation of “Come home” project run by the Ministry of Diaspora Affaires
The result is an ongoing and substantial improvement in the Armenian socio-economic, environmental and education systems, and better social cohesion.
Excellent knowledge of academic, educational, political, cultural, religious, economic, benevolent and others fields of European- Armenian communities. Good communication skills, ability to negotiate with Diaspora entities, excellent oral and written capacities, diligence and proven planning and openness to new ideas. Capacity to analyze problems, make recommendations. Demonstrated initiative, tact and high sense of responsibility and discretion.
Required Skills and Experience
• Advanced University degree in any filed, preferably social sciences, international affairs, development studies, political science.
• At least 10 years experience in research, preparation and editing analytical materials, relationship with European Armenia community.
• Fluency in Armenian and English
European Armenian Federation
for Justice & Democracy
Avenue de la Renaissance 10
Tel : +32 2 732 70 26
Fax: +32 2 732 70 27
European Armenian Federation